Re: [Usability] Netbook experience

On Saturday, 9 April 2011 at 10:01, Mirek M. wrote:
Hi everyone,
> I have been following Gnome Shell development for quite a while, reading blogs and watching videos of it in action. While I really like its user interface in theory (Hot corner, Exposé, Messaging tray, ...), I was really disappointed when I tried the final version of Gnome Shell on my netbook today.
I can't really comment on GNOME 3 plans in this area, but I will just say that your screen -- 1024x576 -- is pretty small even for netbooks. In MeeGo for Netbooks we mandated at least 1024x600 and still had trouble with applications not designed for netbooks not fitting correctly.

At the end of the day there isn't a lot the shell can do, it's down to the applications -- they need to detect smaller screens and rearrange their UI if required (Evolution has a small-screen mode and will remove large amounts of UI)

Ross