Re: [Usability] Sticky Keys

Le samedi 29 mai 2010 à 11:58 +0100, Felipe Erias Morandeira a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> today I was playing a fullscreen game (Openarena) when suddenly a dialog
> popped up saying:
>

> - gnome settings daemon -
>
> Do you want to deactivate Sticky Keys?
> You just pressed two keys at once, or pressed the Shift key 5 times in a
> row. This turns off the Sticky Keys feature, which affects the way you
> keyboard works.
>
> [Don't deactivate] [Deactivate] [Cancel] [OK]
Note I think Cancel and OK come from notify-osd on Ubuntu, which
transforms notifications into dialogs, and for some weird reason adds
two buttons that have the same effect. So the normal dialog is a
notification which I guess disappears automatically after a delay, and
has only two meaningful buttons.

I don't think this dialog is so bad. It tells you what you have done,
with two possible actions; while we could detect the actual action, it's
not the end of the world either. People seldom trigger this dialog
without knowing about it, and if it's so scary, they won't activate the
feature and won't be hurt. OTC the Insert key is very easy to hit,
doesn't warn, and has terrible effects.

Maybe the dialog/notification can be improved, but discovering this
feature can be hard, while with the current behavior, people that have a
hard time typing on the keyboard will be happy to find out that the
computer suggests a nice solution for them.

Anyway, first thing is to check the behavior of the feature without
notify-osd.