Re: [Usability] User Experience Advocates

I'm glad that everyone so far seems to think that this is a good idea.
There are a lot of details that would need to be worked out. We'll need
to get maintainers and devs involved in figuring that out.

Questions and issues:

 * How formal a requirement? Should every sub-project be required to
have a named UX Advocate?
 * What roles and responsibilities? In particular, should the advocate
have final say/responsibility for UI decisions?
 * Bugzilla: should advocates be identified on bugzilla in the same way
as developers and maintainers?
 * Process for appointing UX Advocates: how to establish who is a good
choice for this role?

One possibility would be to trial the idea in a couple of sub-projects.
Doing that in a visible way would promote the idea and could showcase
the advantages of this kind of approach.

> > Question: why did this not take off earlier Callum?
>
> Hmm, a bunch of different reasons really, but overall, I think we never quite achieved a critical mass of UI folks who could spend enough time with individual projects, and the rest of us just didn't organise ourselves well enough.

This is still the biggest barrier, IMO. Do we have enough people
available to fill these roles? All the design/usability types that I
know are pretty damn busy. The idea of introducing this in a gradual way
could help with this, though we'd have to make sure that we kept the
momentum going if we were to go down that road.

Allan
--
IRC: aday on irc.gnome.org
Blog: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/