Re: [Usability] =?utf-8?q?=5BOwncloud=5D_FLOSS_alternative_to_Dropbox?= =?utf-8?q?_=E2=80=93_GNOME_+_KDE_collaboration=3F?=

On 23 March 2010 18:29, Máirín Duffy <duffy gnome org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 10:18 -0600, Stormy Peters wrote:
>> Have you talked to Canonical about open sourcing it?
>
> My assumption is that if they were in a position to open source it they
> already would have (as they did for the client and protocol.)

Seems there are currently no plans to open source the server side:
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-servers/+bug/375272
There might be a chance they open source it in the near future (like
when it is »finished«), similar to Launchpad.

Another part is the OS-agnosticism of Ubuntu One. For a data exchange
system to work really well and to be really open, it has to be
available on as many platforms as possible. At least end users will
have a dual-boot system or non-Ubuntu machines.

The benchmark for a good application (or rather the people behind it)
is the compatibility to at least Linux, Mac OS and Windows. If KDE and
GNOME achieve that with open software, it'll build trust and lower the
barrier for adoption.

My mother looked up the »criticism« paragraph of Wikipedia’s entry for
Dropbox right after I told her about it. ;)