Re: [Usability] HIG proposal: make TreeView selection trigger radio item selection

On 1 Jun 2010, at 21:37, Gabriel Burt wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> GtkRadioButtons have an embedded label which activates them.  But
> TreeViews with a GtkCellRendererToggle column followed by a text
> column are pretty common, yet selecting them or clicking their label
> don't activate them.  I'd like to propose that the HIG specify that
> when TreeViews are used like this - effectively the same as a normal
> group of GtkRadioButtons, but in a scrollable window due to an unknown
> number of options - that selecting the row also activates that radio
> item.
>
> Here's an example from the PulseAudio sound preferences that I think
> could benefit from this:
> http://people.gnome.org/~gburt/sshots/pa-choose-output-device.png

Sounds like a good candidate for the UI pattern library we're trying to get off the ground, I'll add it to the list. (Although it would be better if it 'just worked', of course-- have you considered filing an enhancement in bugzilla for GtkTreeView?)

Cheeri,
Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON, Interaction Designer     Oracle Corporation, Ireland
mailto:calum benson oracle com         Solaris Desktop Team

Any opinions are personal and not necessarily those of Oracle Corp.