[Usability] Switching applications accross desktop

Hello there,

I am new to gnome and I hope I selected the matching mailing
list from this page long list of options. Just one question I have:

It looks like there are a lot of ways to configure the
gnome window manager; even this special CompizConfig conf manager.
A lot of fancy things i have no usage for ...

But: I could find no way to enable "application switching to other
desktops". When I use the "alt-tab" to switch ... I always see
only the applications on my current desktop. This means:
gnome seems to be the only desktop environment where I need
to move my hand to the mouse in order to switch to
an application on a different desktop. KDE has this feature
(somewhat hidden, but its there); xfce has it. So, where
is it hidden in gnome?

thank you very much

(I really hope that this is possible; the absence of this
feature is the one and only reason for me to NOT
stay with gnome ... as our internal stuff looks much
nicer with gnome compared to KDE; and xfce is
just not stable enough).