Re: [Usability] Deja Dup UI Review

On 21/04/2010 01:13, Michael Terry wrote:

Above and beyond a review of how the current UI could be
improved/redesigned, I'd like thoughts on a feature request I keep
getting.  Basically, people want backup profiles (being able to backup
potentially different data to different locations on different
schedules).  I've been struggling with how to offer such functionality
without making the UI much busier/complicated and would love
suggestions.

Off the top of my head, the simplest way I can think of to do this would be to modify your preferences dialog slightly:

<http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1802478/gnome/dejadup-prefs.png>

So one tab = one profile, and the + and - buttons are for adding/removing profiles. By default, there would only be one tab/profile.

What this mockup doesn't have is any obvious way to rename profiles, though, which would clutter things a bit more (unless we did something nastly like hiding that feature on a tab's right-click menu). I guess you might also want a way to disable a profile/schedule without deleting it, which would add further clutter, unless you hid that on the same right-click menu :)

(Incidentally, the GNOME docs guys will tell you that the verb is "to back up", not "to backup"...)

Cheeri,
Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON, Interaction Designer     Oracle Corporation, Ireland
mailto:calum.benson at oracle.com      Solaris Desktop Group

Any opinions are personal and not necessarily those of Oracle Corp.