Re: [Usability] Combo box in a status bar

Hi Vadim,

Here are my thoughts.

1 - is it important that the user know which setting is currently active?  If so then having this dropdown always visible would be a good thing.  If not, then it adds up to visual clutter.

2 - if the user doesn't need to know the current value of the setting, then you could consider a solution like your window picker (from the screenshots section of the website you linked).  That way they have a quicker way to access the profiles, but do not need to always see the current profile name.  Of course then you're stuck with a button visible all the time, which really doesn't seem to add a lot, other than reducing the visual clutter by abstracting it all to a single button.

3 - I've installed Shutter (very cool!) and am not quite clear on what purpose the profiles have.  Could you elaborate a bit on how they're used, possibly with examples?

Kirk

Vadim Peretokin wrote:
Could anyone offer any input on this?

Thank you!