Re: [Usability] Tab implementation review

I haven't been following this discussion much, so forgive me if I'm not
as on track as I could be.

In terms of tabs, I would say that what needs to be worked out is when
you have a lot of tabs open (This can happen to me when trying tracking
where function calls go, for instance). The left-right thing just
doesn't do it for me. It's also a pain when two tabs end up with the
same name for different documents.

In any case, concerning a 3-level system of hierarchical organization,
I'm thinking that other things could be discussed specific to each level
mentioned.

Essentially, each needs a way to be organized given limited space. I
think one thing that could bring out more creativity in this
conversation is to stop calling it organization and start calling it
something else. Since I've been working on a website where the thing
that I believe needs the most work is date paging, I figure pager might
be a good name to use here.

Also, by pager, I don't mean a dropdown box; I mean any manner of
managing organizational entities. The app menu, virtual desktop, task
bar, tabs, etc. all meet this definition.

So let's abstract the idea of a pager. Generally what a pager pages is
organized based on some criteria, and these criteria can be as complex
as listing things that are less than 5 minutes old and concern travel
arrangements for getting to Tahiti, or as simple as listing entries by
alphabetical order.

Pagers ought to be labeled with what they're paging unless what they're
paging is intuitive based on the pager's content.

Pagers can also page other pagers. Right now, for instance, the
Evolution box on my task bar is acting as a pager for my outgoing email
and the window with my inbox and everything else.

So essentially, I figure that applying this concept in an abstract and
usable manner to different organizational entities allowing access to
attributes of these entities in a query like manner, such that people
can experiment on their own, would allow for generating awesome
solutions way more quickly than we can through email.

But then again, that would be a development thing rather than a
usability thing, although it would get much better data to go on for
comparison.