Re: [Usability] Gnome usability question regarding preference dialog

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 12:04 +0100, Andreas Nilsson wrote:

> Hi Anirudh!
> I'm not sure how a Apply-button would help you more than instant-apply
> in that situation.
> With instant apply:
> 1. Click a checkbox.
> 2. See the change happen.
> 3. Figure out that "oh, wait, I don't want that".
> 4. Click the checkbox again to unselect the option.
> 5. Close the window.

So the rationale is that because the user can see the effect of the
change immediately, if the effect is not what he requires he can
hopefully remember what he just changed and how to change it back again.

The checkbox, of course, is the simplest case because there are only two
settings so if you just changed it the original setting must be "the
other one".

Like you, I think ctrl+z or some other kind of undo would be good for
more complex cases where the setting changed is from a pull down list,
or worse, something that has to be typed in.

Regards,
Steve.