Re: [Usability] Confusion between Wi-Fi access point passwords and keyring passwords

Le lundi 14 décembre 2009 à 13:12 +0200, Alex Railean a écrit :
> Maybe it is a good idea to ask for a keyring password when creating a
> new user, so all these things happen in "one place".
>
> I won't be surprised if people will use the same password for the
> keyring as the one for their user account - if statistics can confirm
> that, maybe the keyring password shouldn't be asked at all?
That's what GNOME Keyring PAM integration is here for. I've just tested
it on Ubuntu with a test account, and it seems that the keyring is
already using the login password by default. I'm not asked for a
password keyring when saving the password for e.g. a Nautilus network
volume.

I think that's actually a very sane default. Most people don't
understand much about all this stuff, better not ask them for yet
another password. Plus, with encrypted home directories or Private
folders, eCryptfs needs a password too, and works well with the login
password, integrating with PAM. That's a very common scheme now, needed
to avoid asking the user for three passwords.

So I don't really understand if the original problem still applies. Is
it about an older release of GNOME, or does it affect some distributions
and not others?

Regards