Re: [Usability] Overthinking things.

Quoting Charline <charline poirier canonical com>:

This approach seems right.  We do have to ask ourselves, why do users
not volunteer their usability experience?

In my experience, and one of the points I tried to convey in my first post here, is that users have nowhere to actually volunteer their usability experiences. The Ubuntuforums and the majority of Linux forums treat criticism as either off-topic or trolling and try to stamp it out, or it gets turned into a Linux vs Windows thing. I tried reporting my experiences and issues when I did a test roll out of a couple of Ubuntu boxes in my cafe - needless to say it did not go well - usability and critical discussions are banned apparently.

I do not think it's so much that users do not volunteer their experiences, rather than they are largely not welcome.

The main issue with the community is that they are emotionally invested in Linux and the resulting movement so see criticism of it as criticism of themselves (and take it personally) causing most attempts at honest feedback to result in a flamewar - through no real fault of anyones.

In seriousness I would suggest some form of project to reach out and find out why people are not using Linux - at the moment the attention seems to be on listening to the happy people, which seems a bit redundant. If anything it would inject some realism into the debate.