Re: [Usability] Reviewing users-admin's new UI

Le mercredi 02 décembre 2009 à 13:37 -0800, Anthony Ettinger a écrit :
> The radio buttons that say "Regular User", "Admin", etc...are those
> just a set of 3 recommended groups?
So I guess your question is based on the design doc. These account types
(internally called "user profiles") are much more than Unix groups: they
define groups the user should be made member of, default shell, home
dir, UID range. These settings are loaded from a key file
at /etc/gnome-system-tools/users/profiles.

This system has existed for a while in users-admin, but it profiles only
could only be chosen when creating an user. At the moment, I really
don't know what config file our distributors ship, which is why I'll
make this file part of our tree, which reasonable settings that will
have to be adapted. This will also allow translators do their job
upstream. (But I'm currently stuck on the lack of an
INTLTOOL_DESKTOP_RULE equivalent for automake to handle this file).

> I was curious what shows up under the Groups tab too.
So groups are as before, only intended for advanced users, and IMO not
very useful. Groups corresponding to well-known privileges are in a
separate dialog, with a description of what they mean, allowing for
fine-grained authorizations (just like before).

But note that users-admin is not conforming with the document on this
point: we still show a separate groups dialog. This is because 1) I
don't really see the need to show them on the main dialog, given that it
will confuse most users, and 2) we don't have much space to show them,
which means the list would really not be practical.

Hope this clarifies...