Re: [Usability] Request for UI freeze break (Re: Icons in panel menu bar)

On 08/31/2009 10:41 AM, Vincent Untz wrote:
Hi,

Le mercredi 26 août 2009, à 17:54 +0200, Frederic Crozat a écrit :
Le vendredi 31 juillet 2009 à 22:02 +0200, Vincent Untz a écrit :
Hi,

When the panel was changed to kept some icons when the menu icons are
hidden, all icons in the panel menu bar were kept. A new change just got
committed to only keep icons for application menu items, place menu
items and preference menu items. Or if you prefer, icons for categories,
"Connect to server", "Search files", "Recent documents", "Help", "About
GNOME", "Lock", "Log out", "Shut down" were removed.

I'm not convinced by this change: some part probably makes sense, but
something "feels" wrong to me. Maybe it's because I expect the panel
menu bar to be a bit different.

It could also be because by default, you get three menus (Applications /
Places / System), and only Places has some icons (and quite a few of
them) while the two others don't if you don't open a submenu. Maybe it
kind of breaks a visual balance for me...

So, yeah, I'd just like to get feedback to know if it's right or not, if
it needs to be updated slightly, etc.
Is there any plan to revert this (back to icons on submenus) ? Current
situation is really inconsistent and the mix between no icons and icons
is a nightmare, mainly in Applications menu.
The only feedback I got about this is that we should revert the change
for categories in the applications menu (and system menu, for the
preferences). Some people would also like other icons to come back in
the panel menu (and just the panel menus, because it's a special menu).

Usability people: can you step up and tell us what is the right thing to
do here? At the moment, my decision as maintainer is to put back the
icons for categories in the applications menu.
Matthew Paul Thomas seems to have been unsubscribed from this list (not on purpose, no idea what happened).

He said this on IRC:

following the guideline of icons for dynamic objects, there should be icons for:
* application categories
* applications * Places folders, volumes, and Network
* items inside the "Recent Documents" submenu
* items inside the "Preferences" and "Administration" submenus.

and there should _not_ be icons for:
* "Connect to Server..."
* "Search for Files..."
* the "Recent Documents" submenu title
* any of the top-level items in the "System" menu.

Lets hope he's able to resubscribe soon.
- Andreas