[Usability] Request for UI freeze break (Re: Icons in panel menu bar)

Hi,

Le mercredi 26 août 2009, à 17:54 +0200, Frederic Crozat a écrit :
> Le vendredi 31 juillet 2009 à 22:02 +0200, Vincent Untz a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > When the panel was changed to kept some icons when the menu icons are
> > hidden, all icons in the panel menu bar were kept. A new change just got
> > committed to only keep icons for application menu items, place menu
> > items and preference menu items. Or if you prefer, icons for categories,
> > "Connect to server", "Search files", "Recent documents", "Help", "About
> > GNOME", "Lock", "Log out", "Shut down" were removed.
> >
> > I'm not convinced by this change: some part probably makes sense, but
> > something "feels" wrong to me. Maybe it's because I expect the panel
> > menu bar to be a bit different.
> >
> > It could also be because by default, you get three menus (Applications /
> > Places / System), and only Places has some icons (and quite a few of
> > them) while the two others don't if you don't open a submenu. Maybe it
> > kind of breaks a visual balance for me...
> >
> > So, yeah, I'd just like to get feedback to know if it's right or not, if
> > it needs to be updated slightly, etc.
>
> Is there any plan to revert this (back to icons on submenus) ? Current
> situation is really inconsistent and the mix between no icons and icons
> is a nightmare, mainly in Applications menu.

The only feedback I got about this is that we should revert the change
for categories in the applications menu (and system menu, for the
preferences). Some people would also like other icons to come back in
the panel menu (and just the panel menus, because it's a special menu).

Usability people: can you step up and tell us what is the right thing to
do here? At the moment, my decision as maintainer is to put back the
icons for categories in the applications menu.

Documentation people: does going back to showing icons there break some
documentation that was updated?

Release team: would you approve such a change at this point?

Thanks,

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.