Re: [Usability] An interesting video

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:
Please describe at least basically what it is about and how it is
related to usability.

This is a video that basically shows the world trends of computer and Internet advances. That would definitely be a warning about the increased time a user is spending in front of his computer and thus the Usability team should make everything possible to make the user interact more with living not virtual friends. That of course is not a short term "goal" (if it is even considered as such) but something that should be addressed as early as possible so that our childern would not be boxed in rooms and separated from the world with music players, video games, ect. There was a study in the UK about a group of children that had to leave their ipods, TVs, PC and all kinds of gaming consoles for a week. The most stunning to me were the facts that one of the children said that without his mp3 he could actually hear the noise of the wind in trees and another said that the feeling of not having all it's gadgets is rather strange...

Another point of view would be that the desktop should be more web oriented and all of today's services like facebook and twitter should be easily accessible from within the desktop (e.g. If I want to upload a picture to facebook that would be presented as an option in  the context menu [maybe plugin?] and the progress would show as ordinary file copy dialog).