Re: [Usability] Gnome Research - Sociological Surveys

On Saturday 18 April 2009 1:21:14 pm Tim McConnell wrote:
> > I think HS is often referred to as secondary school.  Confusing
> > enough, it's
> > also called "college" in parts of Europe.  I'm asking my Romanian
> > roommate
> > these questions :P   What Americans call "college" Europeans call
> > "university."
> And to make the confusion worse, colleges and universities are
> considered different levels in the US. I think colleges are supposed to
> be in preparation for going to a university. The part that gets
> confusing is universities are referred to as going to college in the US.
> It is normal for someone attending Harvard University to refer to
> themselves as a "college student".

No, they're not.  The difference between a college and a university is whether
or not they offer graduate degrees.  A post-secondary school that offers 4-year
degrees but not masters or PhD is a college.  One that offers masters or PhD is
a university, but that's still just a *type* of college (it's something the
schools care about as regards their names, but undergrad students don't care,
usually). One that only offers 2-yr degrees (associates) are junior colleges.

> >  Could say did not finish secondary, secondary, post-secondary,
> > vocational.
> >
> > I also sent a mail to the list with post-secondary broken into
> > undergrad/graduate, but I don't know how those translate.

I meant I don't know how that translates to Europe.  I'm American ;)

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo