Re: [Usability] A New Start Menu Design, which resemble windows

I am users from windows, that is no shame. Jobs learned his ideas of GUI from Xerox.  But windows succeeded later. There must have something that could be learned in Windows.

Really, I don't want to flame anybody... I've used Windows for many years... but really the only valuable thing that should be learned from M$ and Windows is... Marketing! ... and "mind manipulation"...

Using a GtkWindow as a Start menu, I could add whatever I or you like on the start menu. I could add Tabs in a start menu, and many others.

I can see that we are not really on the same path... matter of opinions perhaps... but I think that a "menu" is a "menu". Full stop. The user expect it to work as a menu. What's the point in having tabs in there? why should the menu GUI be cluttered in that way? Really I can't see the point in trying to bring as much things as possibile inside this strange "Start menu" that finally we should call "the universe" since it has all the world in it, in few pixels... a collage of functions, icons, documents, information about users, settings and so on... and we should call it "simple"? it's not simple at all... the right place to arrange things is on the Desktop! the whole Desktop! not on a single all-in-one window that you call "Start menu", but perhaps should be called "Mess menu".

sometime simple is better, but that might not be true for desktop users. If a tool is too simple, then the difficulty might be burdened on the users. Users might have to do much extra work to make simple tools work together.

Yes... but we're not talking about tools or applications here! try to think in practice... about Desktop Users... what is the "extra work" in not having the "mess menu"? find a thing that is less accessible or require "extra work" that cannot be done more clearly in gnome-panel instead of in this "mess menu".
I don't understand why you think we should not use the whole desktop, with it's powerful gnome-panel, to accomplish all the work that you're planning to do in this sort of "menu" (that is not really a menu).
Why collapse all the work of the Desktop in a menu?
If you're feeling the need to have a simplified interface to Desktop functionality, then you should re-invent a Desktop interface, not create a "mess menu"... look at this for example:
http://www.canonical.com/projects/ubuntu/nbr
... but I agree with Karoliina "Don't think what has been done, think what has not been done, that
could be better".
Don't give a solution and then try to create a problem (that doesn't exist) and that is solved by the solution you provided...
Thing about a problem a find a solution, something different, something new, something better! Think different!