Re: [Usability] Prototyping the next generation panel

On 4 Nov 2008, at 10:01, Allan Day wrote:

Been thinking about this some more...

I'd certainly support prototyping this stuff sooner rather than later
as well--

One problem with these designs is their scope. We're not talking about
individual apps, here. We're talking about the whole desktop. How do you
prototype that?!

Nobody said it would be easy :) Microsoft and Apple have teams of dozens spending fortunes on doing this sort of stuff all the time, and they still manage to get it pretty wrong sometimes.

You say we're talking about the "whole desktop", but really that's only true in a visual sense. Most of us spend far more time working in individual applications than interacting with "the desktop", which is primarily just a tool to help us organise and prioritise what we're doing in those other applications. As such, it hopefully shouldn't be too hard to break down the desktop functionality into a manageable number of goals and tasks, on which we can focus during any initial prototyping activities.

(By goals I mean things like "email a photo to your parents", and by tasks, the implementation-agnostic steps required: "connect your camera to your computer", "find the right photo", "attach it to a new email", "add a comment", "send the email to your parents".)

Obviously some of these goals and tasks will have a wider scope than *just* the desktop/panel/wm-- and that's no bad thing, because it means we can re-use them when we're prototyping other parts of the desktop experience. While we're concentrating on just the desktop/ panel, though, to some extent we can treat the inputs and outputs to the non-desktop/panel tasks as clouds where 'the right thing happens'. (Although in some cases, it may certainly be interesting to ask users what they think 'the right thing' should be.)

To identify these goals and tasks, we ideally want some of that user research done-- that should also help us document some actual user requirements, without which it's going to be pretty hard to design anything useful anyway.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            GNOME Desktop Team