Re: [Usability] application names in the application menu

The entire purpose of a branding (or in this case, brand naming) something is its value for differentiation. Its usefulness has its roots way before any of us were around.

It is still typically bad practice not to include the purpose of an application in its description. Ex. who the hell would know what mousepad was at first sights? Also, how would I differentiate it from gedit if they're both named Text Editor?

As such, I would suggest using both branding and purpose in the naming conventions.

Let's take for example different web browsers.
Firefox, Opera, Konqueror, etc.

Firefox Web Browser where "Web Browser" denotes purpose, and "Firefox" differentiates from other web browsers. In the same sense, GNOME System Monitor would differentiate itself from KDE's system monitor.

It is quite baffling as to why this is even an issue.