Re: [Usability] Situations with Lack of Button Labels

Well, in regards to the GIMP, if you're learning how to use the application, all those fractions of a second add up.

It's also odd that tooltips are being used both for labels and descriptions in GIMP. Generally they're only used for descriptions. Every button on the GIMP tools has its prospective label in its tooltip preceding the description.

Ex. "Scale Tool: Scale the layer, selection or path (Shift+T)"
The GIMP uses tooltips extremely well, throwing button shortcuts into the tooltips should be used in every application, but imo, I feel the GIMP relies on tooltips too heavily. I honestly don't feel the tooltip is the best alternative solution for a direct button label in the case where using direct button labels would lead to less than optimal screen utilization as well as information overload.

I'm suggesting a method that I've used in game menus (although I didn't exactly have tooltips), and that I have found is another alternative to the option of information overload in situations with a lot of buttons. I believe it would be better than using tooltips for prospective labels in the sense that, for one, it's more reactive; and secondly, a user would be able to scan all of the prospective labels in far less time as a result.