[Usability] Situations with Lack of Button Labels

I can understand why the GIMP wouldn't have button labels, it takes up more screen real estate than the GIMP would really be able to handle, but I can't understand the justification for Ekiga not having button labels. Can anyone clue me in? Does using tooltips exclusively when screen space isn't exactly limited justifiable? I've filed a bug for Ekiga, because I really don't believe it's justifiable, but I'm getting the whole why not stick with tooltips in response.

I think it would be a good idea, at least in the case of the GIMP, that there be an alternative labeling system, a single bold text field that would take the place of all of the button labels, and would change to the label of the button that is being hovered over (and in the case that no label is being hovered over, revert to the selected button's label. I mean, it's certainly a way that a lot of games handle inventory/weapons menus.

i.e.
-----------------------------------
Selected Label Text

Where the buttons following the selected label text are unlabeled.