Re: [Usability] Category Management (i.e. Rhythmbox Music Player)

On 15/06/08 02:46:19, Kirk Bridger wrote:
> It sounds like there's something I'm missing about what tasks the
> user would be doing where browsing provides the best interface.

For me it is when I want to listen to some music but I don't know what
I want to listen to.

I may know something about what I want to listen to, for example a
symphony, a piano concerto, an opera, rock songs, pop etc. but I am
hoping that browsing is going to give me an idea.

In this case anything that relies on when something was last listened
to or how often it was listened to is not very helpful.  I am bored
with whatever I have been listening to and want a change - I want to
listen to that gem in my music collection that I had forgotten I had.

Looking at the browse lists in rhythbox I have the problem with artist
categories with only a single artist in as already described - there
are also more than twice as many artists as albums (3442 to 1329).

Compilation albums are one reason - there are artists in whom I am not
sufficiently interested to buy a complete album but whose material I
have by way of a compilation album.  This is only one effect through.

I think the biggest issue is where the same artist appears in the
listing more than once because rhythbox can not see that it is the same
artist.  This seems to happen for a number of reasons:

1. Different capitalisation.
2. Article present or absent ("Beatles" v. "The Beatles")
3. Use of "&" v. "and".
4. Presence or absense of commas or other punctuation.
5. Plain misspelling.

If had been very careful and tagged all my music by hand these little
inconsistencies would not be there but like many people, I suspect,
many of the tags come from CDDB entries which are created by a variety
of different people.

When I worked on a web based music browser I addressed some of these
issues by creating a "sort key" version, both of artist and album which
was used internally (but never displayed).  This was transformed as
follows:

1. Remove any leading article unless it was the only word
present.
2. Remove all characters that are not alphanumeric, i.e. remove any
spaces and/or punctuation.
3. Map all aphabetic characters to upper case.

Two tracks would be considered to be by the same artist if the two sort
keys matched, even if the full artist name did not.  The display name
for this category was the full artist name for the first entry seen.

This still didn't address the '&' issue or misspelling but was much
more sucessful than the approach taken by rhythmbox.

Another reason for artists with just one entry is collaborations where
the track is often marked as "A & B" or "A feat. B".  For a small
collection this may not make much difference but for a large collection
it may be better for this track to be filed under one of the two
artists, whichever is regarded as the major one, or even under both of
them.

On a related issue rhythmbox, in common with some other music players,
offers a way to browse by genre.  This turns out not be very useful
either though because of a trend for the genre tag to try to tie down
the exact musical style which results in too many genres.  To be useful
for browsing the list of genres needs to be short - probably less than
ten.  Having just two genres ('Classical' and 'Popular') would be more
useful than having 127 (as in my current collection).

Regards,
Steve.