Re: [Usability] Sub-category based grouping of icons in GNOME menus

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Peter Clifton <pcjc2 cam ac uk> wrote:
On Fri, 2008-12-26 at 10:45 -0500, Natan Yellin wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Peter Clifton <pcjc2 cam ac uk>
> wrote:

> I think we could tackle that problem simply by merging more preference
> dialogs together.
>
> Off the top of my head, the following preferences could go together:
> - Keyboard and Keyboard Shortcuts

One is is hardware settings, another is more about how we interact with
the system. If we were to support mouse gestures, for example - they are
quite conceptually similar to keyboard shortcuts. Thinking of Compiz,
for example this defines a lot of keyboard and mouse gesture shortcuts.
Perhaps you're right. It might make sense to merge the mouse and keyboard preferences together.

> - Network configuration and Network proxy

> - Appearance, Screen resolution, Screensaver, and Windows

Screen resolution is more of a hardware thing, but otherwise I agree.
Screen resolution goes with setting up things like external displays, or
a projector - and I'm not sure that users would conceptually group
_those_ tasks with the list above.
I don't think most normal computer users make that distinction. I'm quite technical and I don't even think of it that way.

> - Personal File Sharing (gnome-user-share) and Remote Desktop

> If you also look at the Administration menus then there are even more
> possible merges.

That is true.

--
Peter Clifton