Re: [Usability] New Sound Preferences and Volume Control

Generally I will play a game while listening to my own music.
CONFLICT
I have to turn off the game's music before I can listen to my own music without conflict. Perhaps, however, I want to interchange which music I'm listening to (ex. if I'm working on incorporating music in the game).

I will browse the web while listening to music.
Go to YouTube
CONFLICT
I have to pause or mute my music player before I watch a video. Whether I want to watch a video right away or I want to finish the song I'm listening to is not a given.

I still want to listen to the music app if its window isn't focused. I don't want to have to make the volume stick.

In all of these cases, I don't want to listen to both and have one louder than the other, and in most instances I'd rather end up with a paused stream than a muted one. In rare (but still significant) cases, I'd want to listen to two streams at the same time or mute the one in the foreground (often consisting of subtitles).

The only case where muting is, in most cases, more desirable than pausing is where pausing isn't useful to begin with (i.e. streams < 5s outside of an audio editor). Generally these streams are only selectively in conflict with longer streams. The most frequent cases are that I want all of these streams on or off. Having just those options isn't an issue unless alerts are frequently occuring that I don't care about, but I'm waiting for one in particular.

The problem I'd have with your model is that in my own use of audio, it doesn't make things one bit easier.

Your idea is another example of premature design. It's not likely to have a good solution unless you understand the problem.