Re: [Usability] New Sound Preferences and Volume Control

On 13/12/2008, Jacob Beauregard <deadowlsurvivor gmail com> wrote:
Volume has too many personal and environmental influences to create an
interface simpler than letting the user directly control the volume. I
believe I've already listed off quite a few of them.

Yeah, but the trick is in how we define "control". Just because it has always done through a slider doesn't mean it has to be that way, in every situation. When the user don't care about a precise volume but just a relative setting, a different interface could provide better control with less effort.

I have a design proposal for a really simple interface that would address many of the scenarios described in this thread and provide direct control with just a few clicks. I expose it here for your evaluation:

The interface idea is based around the "focus of sound" concept that I explained in a previous message in this thread: applications with the focus will play louder than those without it, thus creating a two-level relative priority set.

* The basic interface is an enhanced gnome-panel volume control. I've created a mockup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33364508 N04/3108031818/

This replaces the old, too small volume control with an always visible slider that allows for direct volume control with one click - important for users without mousewheel, using a laptop trackpad, a tablet touchscreen or an accesibility pointing device.

You'll notice that it also includes a "pin" button

By default,

The question is not then, building the right mental model to represent
volume sets, but rather how to make it easy to control volume directly.