Re: [Usability] New Sound Preferences and Volume Control

On 06/12/2008, Kirk Bridger <kbridger shaw ca> wrote:
I think we have a basic question here that nobody is really asking: are users going to want to adjust volume per app?  Yes, I know some of us may, but would users really use it?
I'd say no, most of the time. It only makes sense in specific situations. And then, it does matter in a relative sense - that is, I want the phone ring to be louder than the music player, and system sounds to be softer. I don't want multimedia sounds at 75% and system sounds to 30% volume.

This is further complicated with its relation to the system volume, which controls all applications at once. I don't believe a slider in each application makes this relations any easier - unless you completely remove the system volume, which I hope you'll agree is a bad idea.