Re: [Usability] Standard keyboard shortcut for opening a new tab?

On 25 Nov 2008, at 08:09, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:

In Ubuntu, we recently had a bug filed about Gedit not using ctrl+t to
open a new tab[1]. After consulting the HIG, we see that this isn't one
of the standard keyboard shortcuts.  Should it be?  Tabs are becoming
increasingly common in applications (even Nautilus has them now), so
maybe this is something that should be standardized in the next HIG
revision.  Does standardizing ctrl+t for "new tab" sound like a good
idea to anyone else?

One issue we need to consider is that 'new tab' is sometimes equivalent to (say) 'new document', e.g. in gedit. So which do you use as the shortcut for that, Ctrl+T or Ctrl+N?

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            GNOME Desktop Team