Re: [Usability] Alternatives to hardcoded colors

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 22:03 -0400, Jeff wrote:
> Hello, I'm a happy user of Pimlico Tasks
> (http://pimlico-project.org/tasks.html), and there seems to be a
> usability/accessibility flaw in this application: the tasks
> "priorities" are indicated by colors in certain cases.
>
> In the main task list, tasks with high priority are displayed in bold
> type text, "normal" priority is displayed in normal text. All that
> seems good so far, however the problem is this: the "low priority"
> tasks are displayed in hardcoded gray text. I find that to be bad
> accessibility, because it does not seem to bode well with most GTK
> themes. For example, with clearlooks, the text is readable (gray on
> white), but barely, and you need to have a powerfully-lit screen to
> contrast the text. Then, gray text is unusable in most dark themes too
> (gray on black).

The colours are not hardcoded but are taken from the current theme, if
your theme can't display the combinations well then your theme is
broken. I find that the grey-on-white in Clearlooks is easy to read even
on my thinkpad's lcd with the brightness turned right down.

Anyway, taken verbatim from the Tasks readme:

The colour of the tasks in the main task view can be configured via the theme
based on the priority of the task.  The defaults are to use the normal text
colour for high and normal priority tasks, and the insensitive text colour for
the done and low priority tasks.  If these colours are not suitable, add
something like this to your ~/.gtkrc-2.0:

style "koto-task-view"
{
        color["priority-high"] = "red"
        color["priority-normal"] = "blue"
        color["priority-low"] = "green""
        color["priority-done"] = "orange"
}
class "KotoTaskView" style "koto-task-view"

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                           www: http://burtonini.com