Re: [Usability] Nautilus emblems

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 00:27 +0200, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> Op vrijdag 04-04-2008 om 20:45 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Andreas
> Nilsson:
>
> > Ie. What emblems should we ship, alt. Should we ship any at all?
>
> No matter what emblems are shipped, their usefulness will be low as long
> as it's impossible for outside programs to add or modify emblems on
> files.

Agreed.

> Also, a quick bugzilla search on 'emblem' will prove enlightening.

We probably need a formal definition of them. I think that an emblem is
an iconic representation of a keyword or tag. Manager applications (e.g.
file managers, photo managers, music managers, etc...) may use an
tagging mechanism to add metadata to their data. The tag may be visually
represented as an emblem.

Several apps have invented this ability:

File apps:
    Nautilus has emblems

Mail apps:
    Evolution has labels
    Thunderbird has tags

Photo apps:
    F-Spot, GThumb both use tags

Music apps:
    Banshee, Rhythmbox both have genres/descriptions and ratings

Web browsers:
    Epiphany uses tags to accomplish bookmarking
    Firefox offer extensions that provide tags

Search Tools:
    Tracker has tags

Office apps:
    Abiword, Gnumeric have document properties
    OpenOffice.org also supports document properties

Tags are not shared between apps. Creating a tag in F-Spot does not
expose it to Nautilus. Marking an office app as draft does not tell
Nautilus to show the draft emblem.

--

__C U R T I S  C.  H O V E Y_______
Guilty of stealing everything I am.