Re: [Usability] Copy/double click feedback

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 20:19:28 +0200
lorenzo wrote:

> recently I noticed what I consider a couple UI defect present on all OS I know.
> Both are about providing user feedback.
>
> The first one concerns the copy operation. This operation provides no
> feedback at all to user.
> You cannot know if you pressed correctly the keyboard shortcut, if the
> object can be copied and so on.
> I often prefer to use a cut followed by a paste/undo to be sure of the
> operation.
> The system should provide some feedback for this: the selected part
> could blink a couple of times and for the failure of the operation a
> red border could blink, or something like that.
This is a really good idea. It's been numerous times when I pressed Ctrl-C
several times as if to make sure I have really copied a piece of text. I'd
love to see such thing in GTK+.

> The second one is about double click.
> You cannot know if you did the two clicks or a double-click. If you
> are too slow you just stay there staring at the selected icon. This is
> sometime a problem for non-expert users.
Double-click is not a good input action anyway, since its discoverability
is almost zero. Concerning applications startup - there is a
startup-notification exactly to notify a user that (s)he has just
initiated an application startup :)

--
  Alexey "Ktirf" Rusakov
  GNOME Project