Re: [Usability] mouse-over audio-icon-play feature

On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 00:34 +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> I don't need to think it needs to be that sophisticated... the file
> manager would just stop playing when it received a double click, and
> pass the time that it stopped playing to the media player.  The media
> players would then just need to agree on a common "start playing from
> time T" argument.
>
> Of course there would be a gap of a couple of seconds while the media
> player started up, but I don't think the OP was suggesting the
> experience had to be seamless in that respect.

How about the file manager actually using the media player to do the
preview? All it'd take would be an appropriate D-Bus interface, I guess,
and it'd have a lot of advantages, such as a gapless transition from
preview to actual playing, and the possibility of pausing whatever music
is being played while doing a preview.

Cheers,

M. S.