Re: [Usability] bad dialog, need advice

Hi Michael

On Oct 28, 2007, at 9:25 PM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
http://www.avtechpulse.com/downloads/crop-old.png
http://www.avtechpulse.com/downloads/crop-new.png

and I think it's somewhat better, but I'd like suggestions / warnings
from usability/HIG-gurus before I go too far...

You've solved a small problem, removing the toolbar. A toolbar visually indicates that a window is of normal type, so for a dialog to have one is confusing.

However, a bigger problem remains. The dialog repeats many items that are already present in the main window: Undo, Redo, Zoom In, Zoom Out, 1:1, and Zoom to Fit (but, arbitrarily, not Zoom to Width), and biggest of all, the image itself.

This repetition is a telltale sign that the dialog shouldn't exist. Doing cropping in the main window instead would result in the same function having much less interface.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/