Re: [Usability] Linux Desktop Usability

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007, Patrick Carlson wrote:

> Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 21:43:27 -0600
> From: Patrick Carlson <firefly2442 gmail com>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] Linux Desktop Usability
>
> Hello, I am looking to do a research project and usability study comparing
> the Gnome Beryl 3D desktop with the Gnome Metacity 2D desktop.

Hardly seems like a fair comparison but it doesn't always need to be fair.

If you have access to academic journals you should be able to dig out
historical studies on the concepts of 3D desktops and what ideas are
thought to be most useful and conversely which ideas are most likely to
cause problems.

(I'm also hoping someone from Sun Microsystems - gentle nudge - will
mention the Sunfire desktop, which I remember learning about from BBC Open
University.)

--
Alan