Re: [Usability] Linux Desktop Usability

On Sun, 2007-03-04 at 21:43 -0600, Patrick Carlson wrote:
> Hello, I am looking to do a research project and usability study
> comparing the Gnome Beryl 3D desktop with the Gnome Metacity 2D
> desktop.  I've found the Better Desktop project but besides this, I
> haven't found much else in terms of Linux usability studies.
>
> http://www.betterdesktop.org
>
> Can anyone recommend further work that has been done with usability
> studies involving the Linux desktop?  If not, are there any more
> general usability studies that you know of?

Hi Patrick,
Have a look at
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/ut1_report/report_main.html
for a usability study by Sun Microsystems (2001).
It would be good to google with "gnome usability", "linux usability" for
more references which I believe exist.

Regarding at least Beryl, it is important to see that it supports a big
variety of options and only a subset is made available in the default
profile. My uneducated guess is that the default profile did not get
formal usability testing, therefore when exploring Beryl, it would be
beneficial for the community to suggest which elements work, which do
not work, and which should be moved in to/out of the default profile.

Hope this helps,
Simos