Re: [Usability] File Dialog Add/Remove Places Mockup

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 12:39:32PM +1300, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> This discussion has been very interesting, but I wonder whether we're
> overestimating the importance of Places for most people. The pane and
> associated buttons are making the dialogs look much more complicated
> than they would be otherwise.

I agree that the Places list and buttons make the dialog somewhat
complicated and I could imagine it being confusing for some people
(initially).

I use them all the time and would assume at least others who move
between several projects/interests often do so , too.

A combobox might not slow down access that much, though. Anyone
got statistics on that?

> Perhaps we could get away with a small button for Home, a small button
> for Desktop (not shown if you have home as your desktop), a small
> button for Computer, and a menubutton for the other places.
>                    _  _  _  __
>                   [H][D][C][Pv]_________________________
>                            |  Add ?some folder? to Menu |
>                            |  Remove from Menu          |
>                            |----------------------------|
>                            |  # foo                     |
>                            |  % bar                     |
>                            |  @ hum                     |
>                             """"""""""""""""""""""""""""
>
> (Replace H, D, C, and P with cute icons, of course.:-)

Don't know about extra Home/Desktop/Computer buttons.
If the user keeps his files inside Home, his Places will
be in there, too. And his home-dir would be part of the
path-bar.

Computer could be another combobox, perhaps. Otherwise
to be handled as part of Places like now.

I don't know hoe a 'Remove from Menu' item should work.
The Places combobox could have a 'Manage Places' item.

I have working out how searching could fit in and better
integration of keyboard based navigation on my todo-list.

--
Thorsten Wilms

Thorwil's Creature Illustrations:
http://www.printfection.com/thorwil