Re: [Usability] Display file notes easily

On 6/17/07, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt myrealbox com> wrote:
On Jun 17, 2007, at 9:02 PM, Ritesh Khadgaray wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-06-16 at 15:31 +0200, Amaury Chamayou wrote:
>> I found myself using the ability of adding notes to files trough
>> Nautilus to give some meaning to files that had otherwise
>> non-descriptive filenames (because they had to be easily accessible
>> from a program but that's not the point), and I thought it would be
>> very nice if Nautilus could display at least the first few words of a
>> note below the filename, just like it can do with the date, or
>> permissions etc.

For text files, Nautilus already does this in the icon itself. What
type of files were these?

Yes but the text is very small and hard to read. It is also not always relevant, in that case it's C and files, so it only displays things like #include <std... or -module(...
I think Nautilus could display a part of the notes beneath the file name such as "Concurrent Algorithm", "Distributed Algorithm", "Test program etc". (Because for example all my implementations of one algorithm are just named the same with a version, it would be too long to use descriptive file names and not convenient at all, besides the fact that some languages require that the file and the module share the same name).
I already use the small symbols one can select in properties and they turn out to be very efficient for me, I can easily tag the files that need urgent completion, those that are mostly ok, those that are deprecated etc, I think displaying the notes would go one step forward in the right direction. (And yes I'm using Nautilus abusively as a small project management tool because I am lazy ;) ).
I am aware that's a little bit of a "frequent/power user (whatever you call it)" request, but I figured that you can already display a lot of not-so-basic things below the file name (such as octal permissions !), so displaying notes doesn't sound like overcustomization to me.

Amaury