Re: [Usability] About Me Applet

On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 21:46 -0300, Steven Garrity wrote:
> Pardon the apparently ridiculously obvious question, but what is the
> rationale behind the data a user enters into the "About Me" applet? In
> what types of places is this data used?
>
> I ask because I can't imagine wanting to enter this type of personal
> info (job, address, contact, etc.) without knowing how it will be used.
> Will it be added to my instant messaging profiles? Will it go an an
> email footer? etc.

I don't think it's used by much right now. The main aim is to identify
yourself (ie. your accounts) in Evolution-data-server. It can be used by
Galago to say who you are for example.

It's also used to set your "face" in the GDM face browser, your name in
the system passwd database, and it could be used by Epiphany to
auto-complete forms, although that's not implemented yet.

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>