Re: [Usability] new feature request...

On 6/29/07, Alberto Segura <murrayf07 yahoo es> wrote:
    Why do you think its a stupid idea "listillo"?  I'm free to post my
proposals, if you don't agree or answer something similar don't publish
it or better give your reasons...

Of course you are free to post your ideas, no-one is stopping you.
You asked what we thought, I told you what I thought. Had I understood
that "What do you think?" actually meant "Sycophantically agree with
me" I would not have replied (a tip for the future perhaps?).

But, as you have now asked, here is why I think it is a stupid idea.
GNOME is not original. GNOME looks and acts like every other computer
desktop since the dawn of time (circa 1980). This is a good thing.
Originality is overated (in this domain, underrated in others). Cars
look pretty much the same as every other car ever since Henry Ford
rolled the first Model T out of Detroit in 1909 (*). Interchangable
dashboard colours don't make a car more original. There's a reason why
the more original designed cars (concept cars) never make it into
production...no-one would want them.

Anyway, enough of bad analogies.
The Amiga's workbench had a similar ability (supplied by a 3rd party
utility) back in sometime around 1992, so your idea isn't even
particularly original either. You'll notice that nobody took this
design idea anywhere past 1992. I suspect there's a reason for that
too.

And we've not even got onto how you would implement this feature, how
you'd make sure the text was readable on all backgrounds/colours, the
extra work the panel guys would have to deal with implementing,
debugging and supporting a feature that would rarely be used and I
have no idea how you'd begin to make a sane UI for it. Feel free to
prove me wrong, but don't get your hopes up of it ever being used or
making the world a better place.

I'm not saying this to discourage you from having ideas, but GNOME
lacks manpower already and sometimes you need to understand that not
every idea is a winner. I'm a believer in tough love, not leading you
on with lies like "Oh yes, thats a good idea" making you spend time on
it and then it being quietly pushed to the wayside. Thats just a waste
of everyone's time.

And you're right, I wouldn't use it, but then, I think the panel menu
is a stupid idea and don't use it either.

iain

(*) Yes, I know that wasn't the first car...