[Usability] [Slightly OT] Re: "Correct" Windows, KDE button order?

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> The button order for dialogs in Windows Vista is described in the
> "Dialog Boxes" chapter of the Vista UX Guidelines
> <http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511268.aspx#commitButtons>:

> In Windows, using Yes/No dialogs is allowed: "you can purposely use
> generic commit button labels to force users to read the main
> instructions and prevent hasty decisions".

Bwuhahaha "force users to read" and "prevent hasty decisions", that is
hilariously naive.

> In Gnome and Mac OS, Yes/No
> dialogs should not be used, though their respective guidelines don't
> make this as explicit as they could.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/UxGuide/UXGuide/Resources/TopRules/TopRules.asp
The Vista guidelines (by my reading of them at least) seem to discourage
generic buttons

"Use positive commit buttons that are specific responses to the main
instruction instead of generic labels (such as "OK")."

but then the screenshots seem to contradict the advice by showing a big
Yes No dialog :P

--
Alan