Re: [Usability] Seahorse Least Usable String [was Re: Quicky review of Seahorse encryption

On Sep 24, 2006, at 10:24 PM, Nate Nielsen wrote:
The icon doesn't make the dialog any more understandable, consumes
horizontal space, and makes the dialog look like an alert when it
isn't. I suggest removing it. (Too many Gnome dialogs have unhelpful
icons.)

Probably true, but in this case I think it provides continuity with the
previous dialog where the user chose a key type. I've removed the icon
in the upload dialog.

There's a previous dialog that is solely for choosing a key type? That seems like something that could/should be eliminated -- replacing it either with multiple menu items, or with an option menu at the top of the "New Key" dialog (with the choice made in that menu changing the contents of the rest of the dialog).

If there is already a computer you want to use this key with, you can
set up that computer to recognize your key now.

(Just Create the Key)      ( Cancel ) ((Create and Set Up...))

I've made this change, but too bad it looks *so* ugly with the buttons
all the same size and taking up the whole bottom of the dialog like a
bumper of a car :(

I guess usability and good looks are sometimes mutually exclusive.

The buttons shouldn't be all the same size; they should be just wide enough to fit their labels.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/