Re: [Usability] Quicky review of Seahorse encryption key manager

On Sep 16, 2006, at 11:37 PM, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
--- Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt myrealbox com> wrote:

Whether to use "you"/"your" or "me"/"my" to refer to the person using
the computer is tricky, but I try to follow the rule: "you"/"your" for
headings and instructions (such as these tabs), "me"/"my" for controls
that express the user's intent (such as checkboxes and buttons).

Something to be added to the Style Guide?

Perhaps. Meanwhile, today I discovered that much the same guideline has been introduced for Windows Vista: "Use the second person (you, your) to tell users what to do ... Use the first person (I, me, my) to let users tell the program what to do." <http://urlx.org/microsoft.com/9c4d5>

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/