Re: [Usability] spatial desktop

On Sep 16, 2006, at 1:03 AM, brian muhumuza wrote:

Does that mean I won't be able to have both applications open on the
same file on the same screen?

we would have both tools "open"/loaded onto the document but not using both at the same time. When using the text editor, we have the text editor's tool bar and menu bar, etc on the document, then with a key stroke to switch tools, the editor's tool and menu bars are replaced with the hex editor's tool and menu bars.

I agree that would be a useful ability in general (and Microsoft's OLE has allowed something similar since 1990). I also agree that if you try to open a document a second time, the application should automatically focus the already-open copy instead of doing anything weird (like "gedit opened this instance of the file in non-editable way [sic]").

But if you explicitly choose to open the same file in multiple applications, I do not think there is any benefit in preventing you from doing so. Obvious example: for an HTML document, I don't want to have to constantly flick between source editing mode and browsing mode. I want the document to update automatically in one window as I type in the other. (Epiphany nearly does this already, updating whenever I save.)

 I am completing a topaz mock up for which i'll post a link soon.

Why mention "topaz" here? It makes your idea less credible. :-)

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/