Re: [Usability] Mac-style menubar in GNOME

I made a half-hearted stab at a prototype (in Python) once, I'll see
if I can dig it up.

I found half of it.  Here is a panel applet that shows the focused
window's name (and min/max/close buttons) in the top menubar.  You
could probably hack it to show the focused window's menu instead.

The code is very alpha.  Run it like:
$ ./titlebar-applet -w
for a standalone window (for testing), or do the make install thing
and then Add to Panel

http://www.gnome.org/~nigeltao/python_applets/titlebar-applet-0.1-preview.tar.gz

You might need to install the Python wnck bindings - I forget what
package provides that.