Re: [Usability] Usable workspaces for everyone (was: Desktops View in Taskbar)

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Joachim Noreiko wrote:

> Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 20:34:09 +0100 (BST)
> From: Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
> Cc: usability gnome org
> Subject: Usable workspaces for everyone (was: Desktops View in Taskbar)
>

> --- Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie> wrote:
>
> > Again I do not uses workspaces and anyone who does has gone past being
> > what I consider an ordinary user.

A good desktop can serve more than just ordinary users.

Windows provided a power toy which gave basic workspace functionality and
I don't think it is a bad thing to have as an optional extra but having
them by default is another matter.  I can all too easily see beginners
accidentally switching to another workspace and wondering where all their
programs went and not realise how to get them back.

I see users get trapped all too often with Insert and Overwrite mode in
Abiword.  I had to learn that lesson the hard way and I cringe everytime I
see it.  I've also been caught out by the keyboard layout switcher in
Windows which has a keybinding that is all too easy to hit accidentally
and provides very little feedback to explain what has changed and why.

> I used to think this too. However, Apple's inclusion of Spaces in the
> next version of OS X makes a rethink in order perhaps.

but do they enable it by default and how to the make sure users cannot
shoot themselves in the foot?

> So I think there must be ways to bring workspaces to
> the ordinary users. The question is -- how?

True.  And I do hope Workspaces can be improved for those who want them
but I remain skeptical about turning them on by default so I leave it to
those who are interested in the subject.

--
Alan