[Usability] About Menu Items Proposal

As it stands, most Gnome desktops have two About items on the System/Desktop menu. One is About Gnome, the other is About [Distro-name] (Fedora, Ubuntu, etc.).

Two menu items for such infrequently accessed, but necessary, information seems unnecessary.

I would like to propose these two menu items be merged into one "About this Computer" menu item. Under this item, both the Gnome information *and* the distro-specific information would be shown.

I'm not sure how best to show both Gnome and Distro info in one window would be. It could be a split screen, show one by default with a button for the other, or have tabs, like we do for "Written by" and "Translated by" in the Credits box in many apps.

Merging these could items together would make a frequently used menu (also contains Shutdown, Logout, Help, etc.) one item smaller, and hence, a little bit easier to use.

I have also posted this proposal on the wiki for people to add links/info/comments/issues: http://live.gnome.org/UsabilityTeam/AboutMenuItems

So, does it make any sense?

Thanks,
Steven Garrity