Re: [Usability] Grid-based "static sizing" option

On 12 Oct 2006, at 19:02, Blake Hyde wrote:

I had this idea:  grid-based toggleable "maximization."

The screen would be divided into some number of sectors:
_ _ _ _ _
|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|_|

When you click and hold the button on the maximize button, you would get a small menu with this diagram in it, somewhat similar to the 'create table' toolbar icon in Microsoft Word. You set the size of the window there, so that it takes up (for example) a 2x4 grid of sectors. The screen would then
be sized to fit your preference.

The middle button of the three standard top-right widgets would no longer be "maximize," it would be a toggle between the last two specified sizes, so
that you might have a 2x4 sector toggle and a 1x2 sector toggle.

Interesting idea, although to be honest I'm not sure it has much to offer over Apple's own implementation of the state-toggle button, where the alternative state is, by default (and assuming the app is well-written) just the largest window that fits the content-- no need to give it any clues. Then you can just directly move/resize the window in each of its two states if you wish, and have it remember those sizes and positions instead of the defaults, which seems more accurate to me than trying to set them using a little grid.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team