Re: [Usability] Usable workspaces for everyone (was: Desktops View in Taskbar)

On 8 Sep 2006, at 05:34, Alan Horkan wrote:

You see a discoverability problem, I see an affordance problem if a user accidentaly clicks on the workspace switcher and doesn't grasp the cause
and effect.

I'm just stating my opinion. Gnome has a feature enabled by default which Microsoft have chosen not to enable and it seems like neither will Apple.

I know that you are and I'm just discussing with you hoping that
something useful might come out of it. Do you even know if Apple will
disable the feature by default yet?

I await the comments and hopefully more information on the subject of
Apple and workspaces.

I guess only Apple know whether they're going to make it the default or not, but I'd be surprised if they're touting it as a major new feature if they're not planning to switch it on from the get go.

From their demo video, thought, it looks like they're using their usual approach of "slick animation", plus having all workspaces' apps displayed on the dock at the same time, to make sure people grok it.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/spaces.html

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team