Re: [Usability] new tab shortcut is different in gnome-terminal and epiphany

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 04:56 +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Carlos Eduardo Rodrigues [ISO-8859-1] Digenes wrote:
>
> > Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 01:43:05 -0200
> > From: "Carlos Eduardo Rodrigues [ISO-8859-1] Digenes"
> >     <cerdiogenes yahoo com br>
> > To: GNOME Usability List <usability gnome org>
> > Subject: [Usability] new tab shortcut is different in gnome-terminal and
> >     epiphany
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I note that gnome-teminal uses ctrl + T, while epiphny uses ctrl + t to
> [snip]
> > create a new tab. These shortcut keys wouldn't have to be equal?
>
> as far as I know gnome-terminal is a special case and developers
> intentionally chose the keybindings so as to avoid colliding with console
> applications.
>
> it would be nice if we could make things more consistent but I dont
> believe this is a case where we can do that.

Indeed, the terminal has to cope with the fact that apps that run in
terminals usually expect to be able to receive certain key combinations.
That is why most HIG-standard shortcuts that g-t supports are modified
to requite an additional Shift (and that is why you can disable all
shortcuts in g-t if you want)

-- m