Re: [Usability] Updating the HIG

On 21 Mar 2006, at 18:14, Joachim Noreiko wrote:

I saw Callum's edits to the wiki page on the HIG and
it's reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask
for a while:
How do we update the HIG?

Current answer: very slowly :) Historically, Bryan, Seth and myself have added bits as and when the need has arisen (e.g. in response to bug reports, or just things we think of), and we got together and reviewed the changes before we did a release. We also tried to go through all the open bugs every now and again to clean them out as much as possible.

In recent months, though, Bryan and Seth have been working on other things, and I haven't had as much time to work on the HIG as I'd like either. So there's rather a backlog at the moment.

Should we submit patches to it, or is a complete
rewrite in the works?

Patches are weclome, but I usually end up rewriting even my own bits two or three times, so just filing a bug with a list of the recommendations you'd like to see is probably equally good :)

I wouldn't say a complete rewrite is imminent, but I'd like to close as many of the outstanding bugs as possible to get another stable release out the door before the (northern hemisphere) summer, and then take a step back and think about how we can make the whole thing better. (E.g. the ideas on the wiki-- and other people are welcome to chip in with ideas here too: http://live.gnome.org/ HumanInterfaceGuidelines)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team